Friday, February 13, 2009

To My Husband


Dearest,

I am so glad the Lord brought you into my life. His timing is always perfect.

I remember being so confused by you. You were always teasing me and I had such a huge crush on you. But when I had been hurt by a friend and was working through that you reached out to me. As you have many times since. You are my knight in shining armor.

Do you remember when the girls planted themselves in your dorm room during open dorm night? I 'knew' where they were and saved your room for last because you and I had never actually talked other than you calling me 'ornery'(how you knew I will never know!)and telling me my shoelace was untied. Well, I did come to your room and you found a chair for me and set it right next to you. I was a mess, I was so nervous to be there. You started talking to me and then one of my friends said my name, and you said, "Who is Kristen?" They replied, "She is sitting right next to you!" MEMORIES, but oh, how embarrassing! It wasn't but a couple weeks later, when you came to my rescue. And we have been inseparable ever since.

We have had our tough times. That is for sure, but we have stuck it out. You were the first man I ever kissed and as far as I am concerned the last! You are my best friend. You are everything I had hoped for in a husband, especially when you do the dishes!! You know I love ya!

Another memory that means a lot to me, was when I was pregnant with Aaron. That pregnancy was very hard for me, not just physically but emotionally. After losing Isaac I was a nervous wreck. I didn't think you thought about it all very much, until the night before my scheduled C-section. You and I were trying to decide on a name and all of a sudden you asked me if I was nervous. Of course you knew I was. You went on to tell me how nervous you were that he would be born with 10 fingers and 10 toes and that he would be healthy and alive. It was sooo good for me to know that you had the same concerns I did.

Of course I have many, many memories of my life with you: the births of our children, moving countless times,fishing and golfing (occasionally),car trips (our favorite time to talk), watching you coach, making you laugh, laughing with you, praying with you. . . I could go on and on. But, my favorite part of our life together isn't really a memory, because I don't remember an actual event, it just happened. It is when we just clicked. I quit trying to make you stay home and feel guilty for leaving to do whatever and you started staying home and wanting to be home. It is when I quit worrying about me and what I was getting out of our marriage and started thinking about you. Our relationship is so much stronger now than it was the ten years before we changed. I believe it has a lot to do with that trip to the alter almost seven years ago. Thank you for being my husband. Thank you for loving our children. Thank you for listening to me. Thank you for being my lover. Thank you for being my best friend. And most importantly, thank you for loving our Lord and striving to live a life that is pleasing to him.

Life will probably never get easy. We will probably always stress about money. We will probably wonder and worry about our children for the rest of our lives. We will probably move again in our life time. (Although, I hope it is much later in our lives!!) We will lose friends and gain new ones. We will laugh more. Cry more. Pray more. Love more. Live more. Work more. Dream. We will be hurt again. We will question our sanity at times. We may even have a goat again . . . just kidding. No more goats.

But I know as long as I have you, dear husband and God beside me, I can weather any storm that comes my way. I love you.

Always and Forever,
Kris

P.S. Does that picture above remind you of your first post-marriage Valentine's gift? I love you.

**********************************
Please check out other S.W.A.K. 's at We are THAT family. Have a happy Valentine's Day!!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

What a sweet story! I'm glad God brought you thru the tough times. It makes the good times even richer!

Decor To Adore said...

I am a bit late in visiting via the SWAK carnival, but what a great post!