Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Literally, . . . a nightmare

I am up at this crazy hour due to a nightmare. I have been up for more than an hour! Now, I usually don't take much stock in dreams or nightmares, but I went to the Scriptures to find something to soothe my soul and the first Scripture I read was not very soothing.

Let me explain. My dream had something to do with the end of the world maybe, "War of the Worlds" with a little "Meet the Robinsons." I looked in the distance and saw a city under attack, the horizon was glowing red with smoke pillars everywhere. Everyone was coming to the school to find their children and I couldn't find mine. I didn't know where any of my family was. I asked someone, "Is this how it ends? With no family near you?" and then I thought, "Do my children know how much I love them? What about Dave? What about my parents? What about my sisters?" Then, I woke up. Every time I tried to close my eyes afterwards, I went right back to that dream. So, I woke Dave up and he tried to comfort me, as well as a man half asleep can. I decided to get up and get a start on my day and the first thing I did was look to the Bible for comfort.

(Now I must say, this dream probably came about because of the nasty weather we had last night. We spent several hours at Dave's parents' home, in the basement, waiting out the worst of it)

Anyway, back to the Scripture I read. These verses are from the Message. The first passage my eyes fell upon were in Jeremiah. Jeremiah 25:32 to be exact. Here is what it says:

A Message from GOD-of the Angel-Armies:
"Prepare for the worst! Doomsday!
Disaster is spreading from nation to nation.
A huge storm is about to rage
all across planet Earth."

Then I read on into chapter 26, looking for some hope to come from this. And verses 2-3 state:

. . . "Say everything I tell you to say to them. Don't hold anything back. Just maybe they'll listen and turn back from their bad lives. Then I'll reconsider the disaster that I'm planning to bring on them because of their evil behavior."

Then I opened to Matthew 6 and read from verse 22 to the end of the chapter and this is what the last verse of Matthew 6 says:

"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."

WOW! I am still processing all of this. But feel free to leave me your thoughts. I am off to clean the house so I can spend some precious moments with my kiddos!

No comments: