Thursday, January 8, 2009

A New Year

One of our goals this year is to consistently do family devotions. We begin them while we are still at the supper table. I am usually the first one done, because I don't take a second helping, so I begin while everyone else is finishing their meal. This Christmas we received "My First Message" by Eugene H. Peterson. It is a devotional Bible for kids. It has great questions to help the kids consider what we have read.

Earlier this week we were reading the passage from Genesis 2 about Adam and Eve. We read about Adam needing a helper and how he named the animals. We also discussed how Eve was created. The final passage created some crazy conversations with our kiddos. The passage is as follows:

'The Man said, "Finally! My partner! Name her Woman for she was made from my flesh and bones." That's why a man leaves his father and mother and embraces his wife. They become one flesh. The two of them, the Man and his Wife, were naked, but they did not feel ashamed.'

Grace's immediate response was, "Ewwwww, gross! They were naked in the garden with all of the bugs and snakes and lizards and animals?"

That's my girl!! Bugs and snakes . . . gross! To be honest, I can't say that I ever thought about 'the bugs and snakes and lizards and animals' and being naked in the Garden of Eden. How about you?

We did get around to discussing the rules God gave Adam and Eve to obey concerning the Tree- of-Knowing-Good-and-Evil and what rules they have to obey. Which is always a good reminder for kids!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

So cute! The wonderful innocence of the young is so refreshing (and often hilarious!).